Monday 12 March 2007

Sproing!

I knackered my leg.

A particularly heavy session of footwork turned into a really stiff right leg for a week after the practice. It started to get better, and was 90 per cent there when, two days before last week's club night, I was reaching for something on the floor.

Twang!

D'oh. Back to square one. I had a nasty evening of it at the club - especially as I just couldn't for the life of me get my circle-sixte parry right. I was close to chucking my mask against the wall, but my partner Mrs The Duelist, bless her, convinced me to carry on.

Turns out I could do the parry just fine, but I kept mucking up the riposte because I was lunging before extending my arm. I went right back to basics for a few minutes, and I got it eventually, but it was my first proper setback. I hope I don't get too many more mental blocks like that....

Still, I've got a club night this evening and a one-on-one session tomorrow night with my fencing master, so at least I've got plenty of time to practice.

Then when Mrs The Duelist and I get our jackets, we can practice at home. Good for marital stress, that.

No comments: